Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Gro A MO, Save A BRO!

This handsome devil is my cousin and he is doing something wonderful for an issue that is very close to our family... Mental Illness but in particular Men's Mental Health.

I have no words on how proud I am of him and of his touching & honest message the other day on Facebook. I feel like I can only copy and paste his beautiful words as he sums up this issue so well:

Despite often being overlooked, mental health is an area that has only recently been brought into the light and brought into greater attention for its true seriousness amongst the medical field with depression and anxiety related disorders being at the top of the list. 

“Grief is depression in proportion to circumstance; depression is grief out of proportion to circumstance.” 

We all might feel sad, like crap, low or even moody sometimes however there are people with depression who experience these feelings intensely on days without end for weeks, months or even years and sometimes without any apparent reason for it at all. Some of you reading this may have experienced depression first hand or even know someone who has or is experiencing it whilst reading this. Depression has no guaranteed treatment however with enough research we are finding more and more ways to combat against it both in the field of medication and psychologically with the right therapy. The brain is such a mysterious and delicate part of us and just like a computers motherboard if its not working well the entire thing won’t function properly with depression sometime’s leading us to find the darkest places within ourselves to an act unbearably possible to comprehend. In Australia alone, suicide is the leading cause of death for males and females aged between 15-44 and having experienced first hand the repercussions and ripple effect of the loss of a loved one, the experience is one that I hope none of you have to face in your lifetime.
So if you have a little to spare, it doesn't have to be much (it's honestly the thought that counts) please help me by donating on the link below or even sharing this post for it to get around a little. Every cent counts guys I truly appreciate it!  - Ari

I leave you all with a quote from my favourite author, Andrew Solomon..
“The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality and my life, as I write this, is vital even when sad. I may wake up sometime next year without my mind again; it is not likely to stick around all the time. Meanwhile, however, I have discovered what I would have to call a soul, a part of myself I could never have imagined until one day, seven years ago, when hell came to pay me a surprise visit. It's a precious discovery. Almost every day I feel momentary flashes of hopelessness and wonder every time whether I am slipping. For a petrifying instant here and there, a lightning-quick flash, I want a car to run me over...I hate these feelings but, but I know that they have driven me to look deeper at life, to find and cling to reasons for living, I cannot find it in me to regret entirely the course my life has taken. Every day, I choose, sometimes gamely, and sometimes against the moment's reason, to be alive. Is that not a rare joy?”


I am not sure how many people actually read my blog because that's not why I do it but if these words reach at least one person who needs help and it actually helps them that's all that matters.
I'm putting out there because I know there are a few people out there in the world that will stumble on this link and maybe help to donate to Ari's fundraiser. 50 cents, $50 or $500 it's the thought that counts.

MAKE YOUR DONATION HERE!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

We would love to hear from you...